A Space of My Own 我的空间

On Road To Recovery

Posted on: January 21, 2010

… or so I hope. Had been pretty wrong when I thought all was left was the cough in my past blog entry. :S

to see another doctor in UHWC on Monday. The previous doctor whom I saw
on Friday asked me to do a blood test first before anything else so I
did. I don’t know why but I have this incomprehensible fear towards
blood tests. I know it doesn’t hurt that much and all, but somehow I
hate the idea of people taking blood out of my body. The blood test
done on Friday left me with a bruise on my left hand, so the nurse
decided to do this one on my right. She was very kind, and explained
that the bruise was because I haven’t been pressing on the wound hard
enough after the blood test was done.

I didn’t really expect to
have the test done on my right hand so I had to brace myself for it.
And the nurse saw how nervous I was, so she used the typical tactic of
asking 101 questions on how I was feeling and which doctor I was
seeing, etc. She had my blood out quick enough, and I gingerly took it
to the lab.

The doctor thought my problem was only bacteria
infection in my throat at first, and told me that the blood test
needn’t be done at all, and it was an ‘uneccessary puncture’. But when
she caught sight of my high white blood cells percentage (20 over
percent, I think usually it’s around 1 percent or something), she asked
me to do another blood test! I almost fainted. When the nurse in charge
saw it was me again, she went over to the lab to check if the test was
really necessary. Sadly it was. So now I have three bruise prints on
both my arms. I suppose I still haven’t gotten the art of pressing my
wounds well enough.

Doctor concluded that my problem was viral
infection. Or something like mononucleotide glandular infection. I was
very, very tired all day. And kept coughing non-stop. Sweated a lot at
night. Couldn’t sleep in the day. I couldn’t eat more than a quarter of
my dinner, found climbing stairs hard, and couldn’t concentrate in the
classes that I didn’t skip. It was terrible. Viral infection does take
time to heal. The worst was at night when I tried to fall asleep, and I
hallucinated (thinking I’m supposed to cough my phelgm into test tubes,
aliens, pillow turning into cucumber!), coughed, tossed, turned, and
sweated until it was almost morning, before I could finally fall asleep.

God for protecting Tirza from ALL my germs throughout this period.
These two weeks are light for me but not for her. She tapao-ed my
dinner, slept through (I dunno how but somehow she did) my thunderous
coughing, and did not catch any of my sicknesses. And she lent me
Catherine Marshall to read too, which I finished yesterday. Was a very
nice and encouraging book, especially when you’re ill.

Today my
energy level is finally higher than before, so hopefully my condition
had turned for the better. I managed to have my first proper meal
yesterday, which was pretty good (though I vomited a bit of my porridge
out in the end). Finished lunch and attempting dinner today 🙂 It’s
such a blessing to be able to eat normal food! I missed what popo used
to cook when I was young and had fever. The mee in soup with ikan bilis
inside, or the porridge with fish. Super nice la! Now my number one
diet when I don’t feel like eating anything is milk, Koko Krunch and Ah
Gong’s prunes haha!

I started printing my FYP readings which
proved to be more horrendous than I expected. Hopefully I’ll get
started and finish them up good and early before my supervisor asks me
about them. I’m lucky to work under a nice professor this year. The
project is about bacteria genome reconstruction – and it’s a
calculation based project. Guess I shouldn’t go too deep into what it’s
about here in a public blog, in case it’s supposed to be secret or
anything. But it does look interesting! 🙂

I want to get well
soon and live a normal life! Jerome has been covering all IHG articles
everyone can’t take now, and I feel bad not helping haha. And I’m so
out of hall dinners and hall activities (though it is a nice change
lazing in the room instead of going down for activities). And my module
readings which I haven’t even printed. :S Argh. I have been numbed from
the life of a Chem Engineering student for over a week, and now
everything is coming back to haunt me. Thank God this semester I’m not
doing Industrial Attachment after all. How in the world am I going to
survive living like a zombie and resting for over a week, if two days
MC is all I could get!


2 Responses to "On Road To Recovery"

Oh my dear friend ~ u have been through sooo muchI hope u are well soon 🙂

Slowly recovering… thanks bro!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


  • None
  • Mr WordPress: Hi, this is a comment.To delete a comment, just log in, and view the posts' comments, there you will have the option to edit or delete them.
  • Li S.T.: Hope to have more songs composed by you. Hey can I listen to your composed song?
  • JACQUELINE: hehe....when will u be back to Sg ?


%d bloggers like this: